Merlou – A Westsail 32
After 4 boats I think I’ve finally found the one that suit my style of cruising.
Big enough to carry all my tools and my life, small enough to be single handed and good capability offshore. They are heavy and robustly build, but after so many times having issue with boat breaking up on me that’s what I was aiming for. I am now working on this new project to make it the way I want after so many years on boats, it is nice to work while I have experience and know exactly what I want.
LOA: 40′ (including bowsprit and boomkin)
LOD: 32′ 0″
LWL: 27′ 6″
Beam: 11′ 0″
Draft: 5′ 0″
Displacement: 19,500 lbs.
Ballast: 7,000 lbs.
Sail Area: 629 sq. ft.
- Little illustrated glossary for the girl who date a sailor and know nothing about sailing - It is so easy now, with Internet and social networks, to meet all kind of people, with all sorts of different interests and coming from anywhere. Sometimes, it give matches a little weird, but still functional. So for you, the girl (or the boy) who has a date with a captain of a sailing boat, Continue Reading
- Welcome to Litchfield Plantation - Last November third, it was my birthday and I turned 30 (!!!). For this special occasion, Stephane rented a car, so we can go whatever I choose to. Since our arrival in South Carolina, I dreamed of visiting an old plantation. I then made some research on Internet to learn that it is quite expensive Continue Reading
- Long time no see… - It feels a little weird to write something on this website after so long... it is like asking to somebody that you haven't seen for a while “what's up?”! Where do you start? The last article posted on this website dated from several months now. At that time, we had just arrived in Georgetown, in Continue Reading
- Où nous sommes rendus… - Avant mon départ, j'ai cassé les oreilles à nombreux d'entre vous pour que vous visitiez ce site internet, à la blague, afin de financer l'achat d'une bouteille de vin. Voilà que plus d'un mois plus tard, nous n'avions toujours pas mis à jour ce site. Pas que nous n'avons plus besoin d'alcool à bord, (au Continue Reading
- Sailing foot - Usually when your friend asks you for a boat tow in a harbor you don't expect to be floating around in the ocean, your right foot nearly severed at the ankle, your propeller jammed stiff on your precious bones and sharks and mantas surrounding you. Yet, that’s just what happened when, ten years ago Continue Reading
- The first time - Notice: First Post from Claudine. I wish I could say that the first time I've met Stephane was the most romantic date and that I had the time of my life, just like in the most romantic girly movie (aka Dirty Dancing here). It would have fitted perfectly with this Valentine's weekend. But it was Continue Reading
- Beach it, damn it! - Running aground is one of the most sharing experience there is. You are sitting there, looking hopeless, tide running low while all the boats are passing by waving at you. You can't hide, and the name of your proud vessel is written wide and big on the hull. A few more hours and you even Continue Reading
- Power it, baby! - Power, we always want more of it. In any kind of form, style or age. I wanted more power for my Lego when I was young, more power for my old Nissan beat up car when I was teenager, more hair growing power right now, and hopefully not : sex power when older! It is Continue Reading
- you gotta be sh*ttin me - Interesting enough, I always had issue with toilet onboard. As far as I can recall. Or maybe they always had issue with me, it's always a question of perspective. No wonder I had a bucket for years on the last boats. If you do not own a boat yet, or not living aboard, you would Continue Reading
- On the water again. - It's official, I am now officially living on the boat. A month ago, I've cut the last string I had attached to the land and cast off, one more time for adventure and call of the sea. It's the fourth time, and boat number five but strangely enough, again't all odd, here I am. I Continue Reading
- Winter is over!! - Ahhhhhh the joy of finally hearing the bird sing again! Snow melting, smell changing it's always a relief to see the winter ending, we survive through it... I've finally renewed with my long forgotten friend Westsail last weekend. The boat looked sad under the tarp and over 6 months of harsh weather! Meanless to say Continue Reading
- I am terrible on updates - I think it's a fact, I am terrible on updates! So good news! Work did goes forward, the heater is installed! I had to rebuild part of the bulkhead and make a big whole in the deck... The bowsprit is underway too....
- Back to work! - Winter is over, Yayyy! Drived to the boat today and started removing the tarps and air it out. It was really nice to be there, see some friends and get back that feeling that only happen in a sailboat.I've started destroying a good part inside, making space to install the new wood stove. It took Continue Reading
- Wood Stove - There is a few times in life where you are just really surprise by something. I didn't think much when I've seen the Fatsco Stoves Website, specially in this end of 2013. I've searched on forums about it and discover a several persons saying there where a good stove, so I've contacted the company. Julie Continue Reading
- Slowly… - Winter is coming here! I've spent some time working on closing the boat down, and repair a old snowblower as we do have a LOT of snow around here.... Meanwhile, I've order a new wood stove for the boat. It took me months of research to find something that is good and in my price Continue Reading
- An idea is in my head - Hello all, I know I am really bad with news since I am on a routine life on land... Now it's the same routine as everybody else, fighting for living and earning money to pay those continuous bills... I work on the boat as much my budget let me do, while getting entertain by my Continue Reading
- Long time no news… - It's been 2 weeks since I am in vacation, and it will soon be over... Do I have to say where did I've spent the last 2 weeks? I took this time to work a lot on the boat, but believe me... It's hard to have everything done in a short period of time... The Continue Reading
- How someone can dislike a sailor! - I always loved boatyard, all of them: The sound, the smell, the crowd working on their boat, just the feel of it. It's a place where people with the same passion can meet and share it with someone. I have spent the last 10 months or so far from those peoples, boats and the biggest talking Continue Reading
- First time on it! - I went for the first time on the boat since I've bought it and what a beautiful weekend this was! After removing most of the tarp, clean around, looking the overall shape of the boat, I have to say I am really happy with it. There is a lot of work to make it the Continue Reading
- Not much really… - Ahhhhh Winter! What a guy can do while his boat is covered with tons of snow.... I do not much these day's really, I think the best move is actually doing any move at all! Just pilling up money and pay some debt so I will have more finance when the season will start... So Continue Reading
- New Project, Merlou a Westsail 32! - It took some months to go over it.... The head is now clear and the desire of boat is back in my mind, a sailor without a boat is like a snail without his shell. Merlou, the new Westsail 32 that I own is in really good shape. But like every boat is it made Continue Reading